The purpose of the Literacy-Based Promotion Act is to improve the reading skills of kindergarten and first through third grade public school students so that every student completing 3rd grade reads at or above grade level. The intent is to increase the proficiency of all students in reading by the end of their 3rd grade year of school.
3rd Grade Reading Summative Assessement
Beginning in the 2014-2015 school year, a student scoring at the lowest achievement level in reading on the established state assessment for 3rd grade will not be promoted to 4th grade.
Good Cause Exemptions
A 3rd grade student who fails to meet the academic requirements for promotion to the 4th grade may be promoted for good cause:
- Limited English Proficient students with less than two (2) years of instruction in English Language Learner program;
- Students with disabilities whose Individualized Education Program (IEP) indicates that participation in the statewide accountability assessment program is not appropriate, as authorized under state law;
- Students with a disability who participate in the accountability assessment and who have an IEP or Section 504 plan that reflects that the student has received intense remediation in reading for two (2) years but still demonstrates a deficiency and was previously retained;
- Students who demonstrate an acceptable level of reading proficiency on an alternative assessment approved by the State Board of Education; and,
- Students who have received intensive intervention in reading for two (2) or more years but still demonstrate a deficiency in reading and who previously were retained in Kindergarten or First, Second or Third Grade for a total of two (2) years and have not met exceptional education criteria.
A student who is promoted to Fourth Grade with a good cause exemption shall be provided intensive reading instruction and intervention informed by specialized diagnostic information and delivered through specific reading strategies to meet the needs of each student so promoted. The school district shall assist schools and teachers in implementing reading strategies that research has shown to be successful in improving reading among students with persistent reading difficulties.